Il Debbio

Cabernet Franc Costa Toscana

Il Debbio Cabernet Franc Costa Toscana is created from a selection of Cabernet Franc grapes grown along the Tuscan coast in one of the most beautiful settings with some of the best conditions for growing this noble variety, which has found a new home in this corner of Tuscany. The choice of grapes for Il Debbio involves the careful selection of the best bunches in the vineyard, followed by the separate vinification of the most appropriate parcels according to the climate trends over the year, resulting in an elegant wine with a strong varietal identity and a mineral imprint, a fresh, dynamic wine that delivers a modern interpretation of Costa Toscana Cabernet Franc.

Appellation :

Costa Toscana IGT Cabernet Franc

Variety :

100% Cabernet Franc

Age of the vines :

approximately 30 years

Altitude :

100-120 m above sea level

Date of harvest :

18 September 2020

Yield per vine :

approximately 800 grams per vine on average

Fermentation :

spontaneous, using yeasts naturally present on the grapes

Vinification :

the grapes were picked by hand then vinified in small open vessels with around 30% of the bunches left whole. Skin contact for 15 days with daily punch-downs.

Ageing :

58% of the wine is matured in cocciopesto (an ancient material incorporating crushed brick and stone) amphorae for 10 months, whilst the remaining 42% is matured in wood for 10 months.

Appellation :

Costa Toscana IGT Cabernet Franc

Bottling :

1 September 2021

Bottles produced :

2,315 75 cl bottles

Climate during vintage 2020

The 2020 vintage began with a mild winter and some occasional rainfall, before the Costa Toscana saw a sudden return of cold weather in late March and episodes of spring frosts, although this did not cause issues for the Cabernet Franc, as the buds had not yet burst. Temperatures then rose in mid-April, remaining at optimal levels during spring, favouring flowering and fruit setting in late May and the first half of June. Summer was quite hot and dry, but with optimal temperatures in September that ensured a harvest of perfectly healthy grapes.